Tuesday, December 4, 2012

to be

(my 4th or 5th birthday...trendy?)


I'm not really sure what I want "to be" when I grow up.  I've never really had a set idea or plan. I guess you could say I have too many dreams to just pick one.  As long as I can remember, there have been a thousand different things I'm interested in.  I spend weeks obsessed with one topic, activity or hobby and then I'll put it down for awhile and move on to something else.  Obviously, this made it quite difficult to pick a major when I was applying for colleges [How I came to be a music major is a story for another day...].  As I finish up my second to last semester of classes, I can tell you that I'm no closer to figuring out what I want "to be". 

I don't really feel the need to settle down, start a family, buy a house, a car or have lots of money.  I don't want to be the "best" in my field or any field for that matter. On the contrary, I prefer to live simply.  "When I grow up" I want to live an inspired life filled with love, joy, peace, and self expression.  

For today, I want to be a writer.  This will most likely change in just a few short weeks...and that's ok. There are so many things I love, so many things I want "to be".  Why do we limit children by asking them what they want "to be" when they grow up?  Truth is, they don't have to be one thing at all.  The only thing constant in life is change and I believe in embracing it...even if that means having several different careers. 

What am I going "to be" when I graduate? Whatever makes me happy.  For now, that's writing and this little blog...and seeing what tomorrow has to bring.

6 comments:

  1. As a child, I always wanted to be a DJ at a radio station. I enjoyed speech and debate competitions, which I thought was good experience. Once I got to working in the field, I didn't like the hours and the pay. So I moved on. I'm in banking now but feel bored and uninspired. I'm looking. Looking for a new opportunity to get me excited. Esther Norine Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's important to allow yourself the time to figure out who you want to be. don't let anyone push you too fast, take your time!! :)

    I'm a new follower of your lovely blog.
    Come visit our Aloha Friday Blog Hop if you will!! It's a great and easy way to get followers to your lovely blog/website or to your Twitter/Facebook, etc...
    Link up your website and pages too! Aloha Friday Blog Hop {HERE}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I'm Hanna. I found you through Tuesday's blog hop, I'm just really late:) I love making new friends!!! I am your newest follower via GFC. Happy Holidays! You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    xooxo Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her glasses are so cute!!
    Newest follower from the GFC Blog Hop. Hope you can check out my latest post! www.nellecreations.com and follow back on GFC and Facebook! Also have a giveaway going on to win Sunglasses!

    Save 10% on your first GLOSSYBOX!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the picture! (: I know what you mean! I feel like I just want to be a little kid again and have no worries! haha! found you from the GFC blog hop!

    http://www.alyssadawsonblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter is applying to colleges this year, and that's all anyone asks her about. It started last year with everyone pushing her to figure out what she wanted to pursue after high school. Now this year the question she gets at least once a day is "What are you going to do after you graduate?" It stresses her out to the point where she'd rather just stay home, and I don't blame her. I think it's nice to be able to take the time to think about what you'd really like to do, rather than what you think you'd like to do, or what you think other's would like you to do. Hope that makes sense.

    Anyways, thanks for linking up with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party :)

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete